- Individual/group controlled immersive environments
- Sensors from above, actuators from above, and more
- Office/home adaptive treatment environment
- K. Passino, Seminar at Colorado School of Mines, 4/24/18, "Design of Psychophysical Ambience: Taking Off Your Virtual Reality Headset"
3D adaptive sound control:
- Experiment for sound volume/frequency control.
- Experiment in volume control for sound/music reproduction.
- 3D surround sound (being installed now)
2D adaptive light arrays progress ("smart lights"):
- Experiments in our Distributed Dynamical Systems Laboratory (see also iSTEM)
- Koroglu M.T., and Passino K.M., "Illumination Balancing Algorithm for Smart Lights," IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 557-567, March 2014.
- Jose Velasquez and Kevin M. Passino, "Fuzzy Fault Tolerant Control for Smart Lights," Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 2605-2620, 2015.
- Wilfredo Alfonso, Jose J. Velasquez, Kevin M. Passino, Eduardo F. Caicedo, "A Honeybee Social Foraging Algorithm for Feedback Control of Smart Lights," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 48, pp. 13-31, 2016.
3D adaptive light arrays (in progress):
- Wireless lighting, zigbee-controlled LED bulbs
- Synchronized with sound (e.g., music)
2D/3D adaptive temperature control arrays progress (on a planar grid):
- Experiment in our Distributed Dynamical Systems Laboratory (and laboratory assignment in ECE 5557)
- Quijano N., Gil A.E., Passino K.M., “Experiments for Dynamic Resource Allocation, Scheduling, and Control,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 63-79, Feb. 2005.
- Quijano N., Andrews, B.W., Passino K.M., "Foraging Theory for Multizone Temperature Control," IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, Vol 1, No. 4, pp. 18-27, Nov. 2006.
- Quijano N., Passino K.M., "The Ideal Free Distribution: Theory and Engineering Application," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 154-165, Feb. 2007.
- Honey Bee Social Foraging Algorithms for Resource Allocation: Theory and Application," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 23, pp. 845-861, 2010. Quijano, Nicanor, Passsino, Kevin M., "
- Olfaction, feedforward control:
- Release of scent corresponding to ambience (e.g., light and sound), "aroma therapy"
- On a slower time scale that light and sound, and temperature.